The title of this phlog is stolen from Eric Hansen's book of the same name, which describes his adventures in Yemen long before my time there. I used his book as a reference in planning my trip. My current employer and inability to write as well both prohibit me from offering the same quality of narrative as in his book, so this site is instead intended to help me share my photos with friends, family and fellow travelers. Enjoy!

Search

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Obama Yes We Can

During the Bush years, many people abroad would respond to the revelation that you're an American with something to the effect of "Bush bad, America [and its tourist dollars] good." The immense enthusiasm about Obama is a welcome and widespread contrast. I've never see it stronger than in Ethiopia: public buses, restaurants, gas stations and of course children are named after him, and "Obama yes we can" is as ubiquitous as "Where are you from?"