The title of this phlog is stolen from Eric Hansen's book of the same name, which describes his adventures in Yemen long before my time there. I used his book as a reference in planning my trip. My current employer and inability to write as well both prohibit me from offering the same quality of narrative as in his book, so this site is instead intended to help me share my photos with friends, family and fellow travelers. Enjoy!

Search

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Tribal Ethiopia

The remote Lower Omo Valley is home to dozens of tribes that live a life removed from the conveniences we know, with one exception: they're very acquainted with the digital camera, and aggressively demand money (5-25 cents) for each shot you take. I took many:

Mursi baby and women. The Mursi are among the most visited (and photographed) tribes because of the lip plates worn by their women, and they've become quite aggressive about demanding photographs.


Left to right: Karo boy on stilts, Konso waga (each erected in honor of a deceased clan dignitary), Hamer warrior


Left to right: Dorze children dancing in the road for money, interior of a Dorze hut.