The title of this phlog is stolen from Eric Hansen's book of the same name, which describes his adventures in Yemen long before my time there. I used his book as a reference in planning my trip. My current employer and inability to write as well both prohibit me from offering the same quality of narrative as in his book, so this site is instead intended to help me share my photos with friends, family and fellow travelers. Enjoy!

Search

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Sana'a

I loved Sana'a from the moment they searched my 9" bag for an illegal television larger than 14". It just didn't quite make sense. It didn't make sense that the locals on the very street where the British ambassador was targeted with a car bomb just days before would be so helpful and generous to me, or that the State Department would offer its employees there 30% extra pay to account for local anti-Americanism (versus 35% extra in Baghdad or Kabul) when it was the easiest capital to visit in my nine country tour.

Most of the threat in Sana'a is directed against Western governments, not the West in general. The city and the area around it remain extremely welcoming of tourists and students, and extremely comfortable for those who dare to go (ok, maybe just comfortable compared to Africa). The terrorism stuff really only becomes a danger when you're there as a government representative--which I might later be--or when the religious or tribal nuts take things too far--which, it seems, they're starting to do outside of the capital.




The only slightly creepy thing about Sana'a was its posthumous affinity for Saddam...I guess he and Yemeni president Ali Abdullah Saleh were longstanding presidential buddies with some common enemies.